Avast Driver Updater v.2.4.0 is a small simple software to update drivers on a Windows PC. It is light, operates fast and smoothly, finds missing, corrupt or drivers that require an update. All you have to do is to press a big green Start Scan button and get results in a matter of seconds, literally. All the features one would need in a driver updater tool are implemented in it, the only issue with Avast Driver Updater is that it’s only partially free – you can scan for free, but to install updates you have to pay $49,99 for one-year subscription.
- Scans PCs for erroneous and outdated drivers
- Checks for drivers updates in the background automatically
- Creates restore points upon each update
- Targets audio, video, graphics, printers, keyboards
- Set to run o Windows startup or not
- The ability to select drivers for backup
- Nice clean interface
- Online support 24/7
- Only trial version available for free
- Does not display driver source when prompting to update it
- Pop-up messages appearing when switching tabs
Tips. Use this Avast tool to scan for updates or errors, if you need a quick check-up of your device. When using a paid version, check or uncheck a box in Options to set a “reboot PC upon updates” feature. Also, take your time with other settings, which could be handy.
Verdict. Driver Updater is a nice little addition to the diverse Avast family of security and utility software. Our tests showed that is works faster when comparing to other tools, although we did not test update times available in subscription only, to be frank.