On this chapter, we’ll talk about concerning what a Framework Supervisor is and about its numerous different elements.
What’s a Framework Supervisor?
IBM Cognos Framework Supervisor is used to create enterprise mannequin of metadata derived from a number of information sources. It’s a Home windows primarily based software which is used to publish the enterprise fashions to Cognos BI within the type of packages which can be utilized for analytical reporting and evaluation.
Earlier than you begin a brand new challenge in Framework Supervisor, it’s essential that you just undergo BI reporting necessities that lets you determine information methods, metadata, report bundle supply, and many others. This lets you determine which information sources are required within the Framework Supervisor to get the required information within the BI report. You must contemplate the next components earlier than beginning a brand new challenge within the Framework supervisor.
- Information Sources required to fulfill BI wants.
- Varieties of DW system
- Information refresh in Information Warehouse
- BI Reporting- Each day, Weekly, or month-to-month.
A Metadata mannequin is outlined as the gathering of database objects (tables, columns and relationship between objects) imported from the database. Whenever you run the report, metadata printed in BI Cognos portal generates a SQL assertion based on the question.
The IBM Cognos Framework supervisor can conceal the complexity of information within the information supply and likewise alter the best way how information is proven to customers. It supplies a view that’s straightforward for BI customers to know and carry out evaluation and reporting.
IBM Cognos Framework Supervisor Consumer Interface
The next screenshot exhibits the IBM Cognos BI Framework Supervisor Consumer Interface.
Following are the assorted elements of the above screenshot which are defined intimately for higher understanding −
- Undertaking Viewer − This pane on left aspect means that you can entry all the present initiatives in a tree format.
- Undertaking Data − That is the middle pane that’s used to handle objects of an present challenge. This has three tabs: Explorer, Diagram and Dimension.
- Properties − This pane on the backside is used to set the worth of various properties of an object in a challenge.
- Instruments − This pane on the proper aspect supplies you numerous necessary helpful instruments. You possibly can carry out a search, or show an object and its dependent objects, altering challenge language, and many others.
Importing Metadata from a Relational Database
For importing Metadata from a Relational Database, you map the database objects to the Framework supervisor objects. Within the Framework Supervisor, you may import all of the objects or you may choose specific objects like tables, columns, features, saved procedures, views, and many others.
Solely consumer outlined Saved procedures are supported.
|Database Objects||Framework Supervisor Objects|
To create a metadata mannequin, run metadata wizard from the Motion menu. Choose an information supply connection and click on the Subsequent button. Choose the verify containers for the objects you need to import.
Specify how the import ought to deal with duplicate object names. Select both to import and create a novel identify, or to not import. If you happen to select to create a novel identify, the imported object seems with a quantity.
For instance − Whenever you see QuerySubject and QuerySubject1 in your challenge. Then click on Import.
Import statistics together with an inventory of objects that would not be imported and a depend of objects that have been imported are proven.
The subsequent step is to click on on the End button.
After importing Metadata, you have to verify the imported Metadata for the next areas −
- Relationships and Cardinality
- Utilization property for question objects
- Common Combination property for question objects
Importing Metadata from Cognos eight Mannequin
Within the Framework Supervisor, it’s also possible to import metadata from an present Cognos eight Mannequin. To import Metadata from the Cognos eight mannequin, go to Actions → Run Metadata wizard.
Click on on the Cognos eight Mannequin after which the Subsequent button. Navigate to the .cpf file from Cognos eight Mannequin and the press on Subsequent.
Choose the verify containers for objects you need to import after which click on on Subsequent after which on End.
Modeling Relational Metadata
When you import the metadata, subsequent is to validate the objects for reporting requirement. You possibly can choose the objects that seem within the report and check them. You possibly can create two views of the Metadata Mannequin −
- Import View
- Enterprise View
The Import view exhibits you the metadata imported from the info supply. To validate the info as per your BI reporting, you may carry out the next steps −
- Make sure that the relationships mirror the reporting necessities.
- Optimize and customise the info retrieved by the question topics.
- Optimize and customise the info retrieved by dimensions. You might need to retailer dimensions in a separate dimensional view.
- Deal with help for multilingual metadata.
- Management how information is used and formatted by checking question merchandise properties.
Enterprise view is used to supply the knowledge in metadata. You possibly can carry out calculations, aggregations and apply filters in Enterprise view and simply enable customers to construct the report. You possibly can add enterprise guidelines similar to customized calculations and filters that outline the knowledge customers can retrieve.
Arrange the mannequin by creating separate views for every consumer group that mirror the enterprise ideas acquainted to your customers.