Connect the laptop to the mobile internet through tethering
What is tethering?
Tetering is a term for connecting a laptop or home computer to mobile internet, via USB, Bluetooth or WiFi.
In the days before the advent of the iPhone, some mobile phones were able to share their Internet through their network APN. After the unveiling of the iPhone, many mobile phones began to charge more for tethering . Fortunately, today this process is usually free and you do not need to pay more to connect the laptop to the mobile Internet .
Establish tethering connection on Android phones
Android users can use tethering in three ways and connect their laptop, tablet or even home computer to the phone’s internet.
- Bluetooth connection
- Use the phone as a wireless hotspot
- Connect the phone to the computer via USB cable
In the following, we will discuss which of these methods consumes more charge from the phone’s battery and which one provided you with a faster internet.
To get started, make sure your mobile internet is on. Note that the amount of your internet signal (which may be weakened at certain times or places) will affect the speed of your internet transmission. Using tethering can also reduce your battery charge quickly. As we said, tethering in Android can be done in 3 ways , which we will discuss in the following:
1. Connect the laptop to the mobile phone internet via USB
You can turn your mobile phone into a modem and connect it to your laptop. This feature allows you to share your mobile internet with the device to which you are connected.
To do this, connect your mobile phone to the computer with a suitable cable. Then follow these steps:
- Enter the settings section and then select the Network & internet option and enter the Hotspot & tethering section.
- Enable USB tethering. If this option is not enabled, make sure your cable is properly connected to both devices.
- A notification then appears warning that if data continues to run, the data transfer between the two devices will be interrupted. With this notification, you can be sure that tethering is enabled.
- Select the OK option.
While testing this method, we observed the following:
Impact on the battery: The effect of this method on reducing the battery charge depends on whether your laptop is plugged in or not. If it is connected, then your phone will also charge from the laptop and the battery will lose charge slowly or not at all.
Note: If your laptop is not plugged in and uses a battery, your phone will use a laptop battery automatically instead of using its own.
۲. Use Bluetooth to share the Internet
Another way you can connect your laptop or tablet to the mobile Internet is to use Bluetooth. This short-range wireless technology has enough bandwidth to transfer data between your phone and the device to which you are connected.
First, pair your phone and laptop with this method (so-called Pair):
- Go to the Bluetooth settings section on your Android phone. Or in the quick settings section, press the Bluetooth icon for a few moments. Or search for “Connected devices” in the settings section.
- Select the Pair new device option. This will allow other devices to detect your phone.
- Now in Windows 10, press the Windows key together with the I key to enter the settings section.
- Now select Bluetooth & other devices from the Devices section.
- Now turn on Bluetooth if it is off. Click Add Bluetooth or other device and then select Bluetooth.
- Now when your phone name appears, select it to pair the two devices.
- After pairing the two devices, go to Settings> Network & internet> Hotspot & tethering on your phone and turn on Bluetooth tethering.
You can now share your mobile internet like this:
- From the Windows toolbar, try to find the Bluetooth icon and right-click on it and select Join a Personal Area Network.
- In the menu that appears, find your phone icon and right-click on it.
- Select Connect using and then Access point.
Your phone should now notify you that Bluetooth tethering is enabled.
By testing this method, we found that:
Impact on the battery: This method puts a lot of pressure on the battery. 10 minutes of using this method reduced the battery charge by more than 5%.
3. Use WiFi hotspot to connect the laptop to the mobile internet
This method, which has the advantage of both wireless and high speed, is perhaps the most popular method of tethering among the people.
Using the hotspot method, you can also choose a password to connect to other devices. Also, this method is definitely the easiest way to share the Internet by mobile. To use this method, follow these steps:
- From the settings section, select Network & internet, then Hotspot & tethering.
- Now select Portable hotspot. On some phones, this is called a Wi-Fi hotspot.
- On the page that appears, turn on the hotspot.
- On this page you can make your own settings. For example, you can make the hotspot name and security settings. You can also select the Advanced option to set the hotspot to turn off automatically if no device is connected to this phone’s Internet. Note: On some phones you have to enter the Configure hotspot menu to be able to make these settings.
- By selecting the Hotspot password option, which you sometimes see as Show password, you can view your password if needed.
Now do these steps on your Windows:
- Press the Windows key and I at the same time to open the settings.
- Select Wi-Fi from the Network & Internet section.
- Click Show available networks and select your phone’s Hotspot name. Of course, you can also do this by clicking on the WiFi icon in the Windows toolbar.
- Now click on Connect by selecting the desired name.
Now enter the password you see on your mobile in this field to communicate.
By doing this method, the following results were obtained:
Impact on the battery: This case, like the previous method, reduces the phone charge by about 5% for every 10 minutes of use. Standard and common use of the Internet method, apparently tethering and hotspot best way is about 5 to 6 hours until the battery runs out.
Once you have done this, it will be much easier the next time you try to use this method. Just turn on the Hotspot option on the quick settings panel at the top of your phone and wait for your computer to connect to the phone. As long as you do not change your Hotspot name or password, the connection between the two devices will be just as easy and will be done automatically.
Internet sharing by iPhone
If you do not have an Android phone and you only have an iPhone and you want to share it on the Internet, select the Personal Hotspot option from the Settings section. This way you can connect to the Internet with your computer or tablet.
Of course, iOS, like Android, also has Bluetooth and USB connectivity options.
Which method should we use to connect the laptop to the mobile internet?
In this article, we look at three ways to connect a laptop to the mobile Internet. But which method is better?
Our tests show that using the USB option has the lowest battery usage. Also, using Bluetooth for this purpose has the lowest speed compared to the other two options. Of course, the charge that comes from a mobile phone is not very high and is acceptable.
Since USB connection does not always bring the highest speed, using the Hotspot option can be the best way. But if you can not use this method, USB connection is the best possible alternative.